Happy World Kindness Day, everyone!
Today is a favorite day of mine; I absolutely love when people are kind for no reason. Just a simple smile or wave instantly brightens my mood. Being kind doesn’t take a lot of extra work, and it won’t kill you. Showing the world kindness is a person’s duty in life. Not everyone will be smart or athletic, but we can all choose to be kind to those around us.
To celebrate, I’ve compiled a list of amazing acts of kindness that we could all do to make our world better:
- Pick up one piece of trash a day.
- Hold the door open for someone you don’t know.
- Smile at everyone you pass.
- Wave at people out on the road.
- Write a letter of gratitude to a friend- tell them how much they mean to you.
- Send flowers to someone who needs a pick-me-up.
- Send a funny meme to your mom (I don’t know about you, but my mom really likes them).
- Give someone a sincere compliment as you pass them.
- Send out a heartfelt text- the person who receives it will love you.
- Ask your friend if you can help them in any way, especially if they have been feeling overwhelmed. Though they may not accept your offer, just the act of asking will mean something to them.
- Start collecting your pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald House! It’s an amazing program that my family has definitely utilized services from; check it out.
- Put a surprise note on someone’s car.
- Say “thank you” to someone who made a difference in your life.
- Lend your help (and objects) to those in need.
- Surprise your roommates with breakfast.
- Take care of yourself- watch a funny movie, take a long bath, read a good book. Do whatever you need to to be kind to your own body and mental health.
- Listen to a child talk about their goals, no matter how silly they may seem to you.
- Volunteer in your community; get involved!
- Give someone the benefit of of the doubt and the time of day.
- Put together an Operation Christmas Child box to be sent to a third world country.
- Call a friend you haven’t talked to in awhile just to check in on their life.
- Email an old teacher and tell them how they impacted your life. Trust me, if anyone does this for me in the future, I will cry like an infant.
- Pay for someone else’s meal or drink.
- Let a car merge in front of you without getting angry.
- Listen to hear instead of to respond; put your phone down.
- Take a look through your closet and donate old clothes you no longer wear (I know you have some).
- Write someone a real letter (not a text, Tweet, or Facebook post) and mail it out to them.
- Give someone you love a bear hug just because.
- Empathize; we all fight battles that may not be apparent to others. Stop judging.
- Call your grandparents. They love you.
- Be positive in your workplace.
- Spread positivity in every situation.
I’m a true believer that you get what you give; give love and kindness to others and you will reap the rewards of your actions. Sometimes the best part of being kind is the internal feeling. I love making my friends feel special and loved; I need nothing more than to know that they feel my love to make me happy. So throw that kindness around like confetti. Brighten someone’s day with your words and actions. Love everyone; let’s make World Kindness Day happen every day.